Gene Carroll and
Glen Rowell (Jake and Lena)

Gene Carroll and Glenn Rowell

Gene Carroll and Glenn Rowell, circa 1930

Gene Carroll and Glenn Rowell were Vaudeville performers who started a radio show — called the Gene and Glen Show — on WTAM in Cleveland, Ohio around 1930. The pair became famous for their characters Jake and Lena. WTAM originated the program for nationwide broadcast on the NBC Red Network. It aired six days a week for five years.

The Recordings

Whippoorwill

record label Group: Gene Carroll and Glen Rowell
Label: Victor Matrix Number: Victor (22385)
Record Type: Double sided 10 inch 78 RPM
Date Recorded: March 29, 1930
Listen:
Share:

They Cut Down the Old Pine Tree

record label Group: Gene Carroll and Glen Rowell
Label: Victor Matrix Number: Victor (22385)
Record Type: Double sided 10 inch 78 RPM
Date Recorded: March 29, 1930
Listen:
Share:

Comments

We'd love to hear from you! If you have any information about Gene Carroll and Glen Rowell or about Gene Carroll and Glen Rowell's recordings, please leave a comment.

8 thoughts on “Gene Carroll and Glen Rowell”

1. Jim Bull says:

My grandmother, Tina B. Cornic co-composed “The Message of My Spanish Garden Rose.” On sheet music says: “Featured by Gene and Glen” with their photos. Recording exist?

1. Thomas says:

Jim – Thank you for your note. I cannot find a single recording anywhere of this song either. It is possible that Gene and Glen played it live on the radio, in which case, it may be on an old transcription. I’ll keep an eye out!
      –Thomas

2. Treeny Telles says:

Who were Jake and Lena’s characters supposed to be? A married couple? Black? White? Was it funny?

1. DownAndOut says:

I have no idea… but someone else might add a comment. Thanks for writing!

–Thomas

3. Whitt Smith says:

Gene Carroll was my grandpa’s cousin. They played together as kids. He’s most likely where my performing talent stems from. I have performed as a magician, ventriloquist, clown, and a singer\songwriter with guitar and ukulele. I love that he played the harmonica also, as that’s a love of mine too since the 1970’s and i have performed with it some. And by the way, Gene played both jake and lena. Glen did not play either character. I even have an old pocket calendar where he’s shown dressed as both. I just aquied spoons with gene and glen’s image on them and have some sheet music with them on it. I loved both the recordings here. Thanks so much for posting them. I also have all of gene’s appearences on fibber mcgee and molly on mp3. He played lena the maid after the mcgee’s maid character beaulah got it’s own radio show. Beaulah was also voiced by a man at that time. A man named marlin hunt. It was done by a woman afterwards. I’ve always wondered why both the mcgee’s maids were voiced by men. Here’s my youtube chanel if you’d like to see a relative of his. Stay well. https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC7cNOhgB0KMwwz2xf3DIN5w/videos

1. DownAndOut says:

I quite enjoy listening to these guys as well! Thanks so much for writing!

–Thomas

4. Kathy Moon Roth says:

My Dad and Uncle were named after them. They were identical twins from Canton, Ohio. Gene Carroll Moon and Glenn Rowell Moon!

1. T Burns says:

That is so cool! Thanks so much for writing!
      –Thomas